Preview Pacific Science, vol. 71 no. 1 with the following article free for all from Bio-One:
New Species of Stylasterid (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa: Anthoathecata: Stylasteridae) from the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands by Stephen D. Cairns
Also inside this quarter’s issue, Wyatt A. Shell examines small green carpenter bee range expansion in Hawai’i:
Invasive bee species may have a widely detrimental impact on their novel host ecosystem. Introduced bees can rapidly disrupt native plantpollinator mutualisms through competition with indigenous pollinator fauna and facilitation of invasive flora reproduction. […] Here we present a comprehensive synthesis of C. smaragdula’s known biological and ecological history, as well as a population genetic analysis of C. smaragdula from Maui, and from locations across its native range, at the cytochrome oxidase I (COI ) locus. We update C. smaragdula’s known distribution and occurrence elevation in Hawai‘i and reveal a lack of genetic structure between Hawaiian and native range populations.
Scholarly articles in this issue:
- Range Expansion of the Small Carpenter Bee Ceratina smaragdula across the Hawaiian Archipelago with Potential Ecological Implications for Native Pollinator Systems by Wyatt A. Shell and Sandra M. Rehan
- Sedimentary Carbon and Nitrogen Dynamics Reveal Impact of Human Land-Use Change on Kawainui Marsh, O‘ahu, Hawai‘i by Brittany Anderson, Li Zhang, Huining Wang, Tianyi Lu, F. David Horgen, John Culliney, and Jiasong Fang
- First Limnological Characterization of Crater Lake Billy Mitchell (Bougainville Island, Papua New Guinea) by Robert Schabetsberger, Ursula Sichrowsky, Alexander Scheck, Michael Schagerl, Barbara Mähnert, Bettina Sonntag, and Karin Pall
- Feeding Microhabitat Use and Selectivity of Juvenile Mugil cephalus (Actinopterygii: Mugilidae) in a Hawaiian Stream by Kauaoa M. S. Fraiola and Stephanie M. Carlson
- Diet of the Volcano Keyhole Limpet Fissurella volcano (Gastropoda: Fissurellidae) in Subtropical Rocky Reefs of the Baja California Peninsula by Karla León-Cisneros, Alejandra Mazariegos-Villarreal, Claudia M. Miranda- Saucedo, Uri Argumedo-Hernández, David Siqueiros-Beltrones, and Elisa Serviere-Zaragoza
- An Updated Avifauna of Moku‘ae‘ae Rock Islet, Kaua‘i by André F. Raine, Brooke McFarland, Matthew Boone, and Nathan Banfield
- New Species of Stylasterid (Cnidaria: Hydrozoa: Anthoathecata: Stylasteridae) from the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands by Stephen D. Cairns
- New Records of Butterflies (Lepidoptera) from the Federated States of Micronesia with Remarks on Geographic Variation in Hypolimnas bolina (Linnaeus) by Donald W. Buden and W. J. Tennent
- Gastrointestinal Helminths from Eight Species of Cyrtodactylus Lizards (Squamata: Gekkonidae) from Peninsular Malaysia and Two Species from Vietnam by Stephen R. Goldberg, Charles R. Bursey, and L. Lee Grismer
Appearing quarterly since 1947, Pacific Science is an international, multidisciplinary journal reporting research on the biological and physical sciences of the Pacific basin. It focuses on biogeography, ecology, evolution, geology and volcanology, oceanography, paleontology, and systematics.